Monday, March 7, 2016

Gaining a Two Point Perspective - My Major Project

Gaining a Two-Point Perspective


Alright my friends, here is my my major project: Learning how to draw in two point perspective.  



Here was my proposal:

Goals: My goal is to be able to draw buildings and skyscrapers in a two-point perspective style. I am not good at drawing at all but I like to try on my own. My wife is a free-lance artist and thought this would be a good thing for me to try. I will need to start out by drawing "simple" boxes and shapes in a two-point perspective and keep practicing that. Week by week, I hope to add more of an architectural design and feel to my drawings. My ultimate goal is to draw a downtown major city scene in a two-point perspective. 






Resources and Learning Materials: The materials I will need are a sketchbook, pencils, and a camera for photos and videos of my progress each week. I will definitely be using online resources. YouTube will be essential because I can watch an art lesson multiple times and there are so many videos out there that I can get different perspectives on drawing in the two point perspective style. I will look for blogs written by different artists about two-point perspective drawing as well, but I feel that watching someone create this type of art will be a better visual for me to complete my goal. I am sure as I search through blogs written by artists, they will post a video lesson on this technique. I will also be able to use my wife as a teacher. She is a wonderful artist and believes that I can succeed in learning this style of art. You could call her an expert as well. 

Documentation of Progress: The documentation process will be photos and videos of me drawing in the two-point perspective style. I am hoping to learn how to use a time-lapse option for a video so my actual drawing attempt can be seen. Photos will be of what I am doing each week such as: where I am working, my materials, and attempts. I will also blog about my triumphs and failures throughout the week as well as information on the lessons I learned during the week. 

Planned TimelineI plan to work on this skill 5 days a week at the least and each of those 5 days, a half hour to an hour of practice. Each week I will watch multiple videos of lessons and lessons from my wife. 

Possible Challenges: A huge challenge for me is that I am terrible at drawing. Yes, I do enjoy doing it but I never show it to anyone. Sometimes I don't even show it to my wife because I feel so embarrassed. I hope to gain more confidence each week. 

Critical Friend: My critical friend will be my co-worker, Mike. He was an art major at Kent State University for a while and I have seen his work and he is a fantastic artist. What I like about him too is that he is pretty blunt and will tell me directly what I need to improve on without holding back. 





Here is an excellent video to give you an idea of what Two Point Perspective drawing is like:


No comments:

Post a Comment