Saturday, March 5, 2016

Cool Tool Review #3

Cool Tool Review #3

For this week's Cool Tool Review, I explored the Info-Graphic Tool section. The one I chose is a website called Piktochart. Here is the link to the website: 

Piktochart allows you to create Presentations, Posters, and Reports. There are many different free templates you can use to make your own creation. With free access, there is a lot you can do. It took me a good amount of time to understand how this site works, I don't know if it's because I am technologically impaired or I just need to get my life together because the Digital Age is here to stay. 

To "Level Up" on this site, you must pay....of course. You will get more access to the site and more templates. The cost for a "Lite" sign up is $15 a month. For "Pro", it is a whopping $29 a month. Those prices are astronomical and completely unnecessary. There is a lot you can create when using the site for free. I would never pay that amount to upgrade, it is completely not worth it. There are no educational use discounts either! Terrible!

When it comes to taking this tool into the classroom, I think that this would be a lot of fun for the students to make a presentation for class. I believe that middle school and high school would be the best age settings for using this site. Kids these days are pretty tech savvy. The teacher could give the students a short look at this on a smart board and I believe the students would be able to pick up on how this site works pretty quickly.

Students would be able to create an account and save their progress as they go. With this, not only could the student work on their project at school but also at home or the library or wherever they have access to the internet.

This tool brings us back to TPACK. Using this tool with understanding the content of the tool, the content of the subject of what you are teaching to your class, and getting this tool to be effective in helping your students learn the subject you are teaching. This tool will allow your students to get their creative mind flowing to effectively present the knowledge the have obtained.

An example I made with Piktochart is a short and sweet presentation on one of my favorite dinosaurs, the Parasaurolophus. Here is the link to my creation: 
https://magic.piktochart.com/output/11716452-the-parasaurolophus

When you arrive, go ahead and scroll down to look at it or click present for power point mode.

Overall, I would give this 3.5 stars out of 5. I definitely would use this in the classroom because I think students would love to design with this tool and the fun that comes with this tool would drive them to do their best on the project. I encourage you to check it out, make something, or examine it and let me know what you think.

Hope you enjoy!

-Mark


No comments:

Post a Comment