Saturday, February 27, 2016

Cool Tool Review Number Two

For my second Cool Tool Review, I used befunky.com. This tool is a photo editor, collage maker, and allows you to do some graphic design. I found this tool to be similar to Instagram. You can edit photos with many different effects and are able to share it to Facebook and Twitter. You can use the free settings and templates which give you a more limited access but I feel like it is enough. The cost is $4.95 a month or $24.95 for a year.
You create an account and profile to personalize to make your page interesting. You can pull photos from your Facebook page and Instagram.

As and educator, if you were able to bring this tool into the classroom, I think that the collage maker would be the most effective feature to use. The reason being, it is very easy to use and the students could create a theme for their collage.

I came up with the idea for using this for middle school students to make an advertisement for Earth Day. I think that a science teacher and an art teacher could work together to make this possible. This way the students get the content of Earth Day from their science teacher and learn the content of creating their advertisement from the art teacher. The integration of science an art would be a fun way to get the students thinking. 


Here is an example I made for a middle school student's collage and advertisement for Earth Day for encouraging others in the school to celebrate Earth Day at their middle school:





The reason I chose middle school students is because I think that this is the youngest age where students would understand how to use this tool and would be a great introduction to learn how to use technology for school. The teacher would need to have the site on display for the students on a smart board so while the students sit at the computers, they are able to follow along with the teacher to see how the site works. I think that there are many kids who are digitally literate at this age already and they would be able to catch on quickly, Nevertheless, you have to remember that not every student is digitally literate due to limited access to technology so they will need extra help to be successful with their project.

Overall, I would say that I was semi-impressed with this tool. Yes, it was fun and I think that it would be fun for students but at the same time there has to be better tools out there to do a project like this although, this would be a good introduction tool for students to learn the ways of simple graphic design. Unfortunately, their are no school discounts for this site. It is pretty easy to use but if I would give it a 3 out of 5 star rating.

I do encourage you to check it out and see what you can create.

Here is the link to the site: https://www.befunky.com/

And here is the link to my profile: https://www.befunky.com/gallery/mspontwookie/

No comments:

Post a Comment